Healthy Thanksgiving Tips & Recipes
It's that time of year again.The month filled with food, friends, family, food, shopping, food, parties & food! Remember to stay present, hydrated & thankful! I wanted to share a couple tips on how to set yourself up for success and stay on track with your health goals before any big holiday party or event.
1. Consider making a food dish ahead of time to bring with you to the event. An appetizer, side dish or dessert (whatever you find yourself indulging in the most). 2. Have a healthy snack before you head out. This is so you don't over eat while you're out.
Prep Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Yields 6-8 servings
1 large whole grain bread cubed
1 cup green lentils
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
3/4 cup celery, diced
3 cups vegetable broth
1 1/4 tsp fresh sage, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Tear bread into approximately 1 in. pieces.
Place bread into a bowl and cover with vegetable broth.
Allow soaking for 10 minutes.
Saute onions in a saucepan with olive oil.
When translucent in color, add celery and sauce for another 4-5 minutes.
Add lentils to saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
Combine soaked bread, celery and onion and sage well until the desired consistency.
Place in one large or two smaller baking dishes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until slightly crispy on the top.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- One 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
1. Rinse cranberries well and drain off excess water. Pick through the cranberries and discard any soft or discolored ones.
2. In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, honey, water and orange juice. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have softened and the mixture has thickened to your liking. This takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove the pot from heat and stir in the orange zest and cinnamon. Taste and add more orange juice or honey to taste.
Things Children Can Do To Help With Recipe
Tear bread into pieces
Blend ingredients together
Wash the cranberries
Add ingredients to saucepan